Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1061337 Posts in 70659 Topics- by 18472 Members - Latest Member: emikulak
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thanks 'Slide Doctor' - ATW '17  (Read 173 times)
TriJim

View Profile
« on: Mar 12, 2017, 02:09PM »

I would like to commend 'Slide Doctor' - Mr. Ray Splawn - for his kind and expert assistance at the American Trombone Workshop.

I returned to play a couple years ago and noticed a 'hitch' in the Olds Super that I played in High School.  There was an obvious dent in the outer tube so I took the horn to ask what could be done; at ATW or his shop in Georgia. 

'Slide Doctor' had the tools on hand and within a few minutes rolled out the dent in the outer tube.  He went on to find bowing of the inner tubes and twisting of the outer tubes so the slide would not lay flat.  He straightened the inner tubes and proceeded outside with a propane torch to release the twist.  Now the slide is 'smooth as butter.' 

However, he wasn't finished - he found the waterkey spring broken - had the replacement on hand, replaced the cork at the same time, replaced the felt 'bumpers,' and a new rubber protector for the end of the slide.

All of this in less than half an hour.  He knew exactly what needed to be done, he had the tools and supplies on hand, and he did it right the first time.  Results better than I could have expected and he declined payment for his services.

He will be my first choice for any slide-related issues and deserves a call if you need assistance.  (this recommendation is unsolicited - I just thought I'd share my very positive experience at ATW '17)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: