Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1073102 Posts in 71184 Topics- by 18858 Members - Latest Member: pchoi
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentRepairs, Modifications and Maintenance(Moderators: john sandhagen, BGuttman) Help! Does my slide need fixed, cleaned, lubed... all three?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Help! Does my slide need fixed, cleaned, lubed... all three?  (Read 407 times)
JWykell

View Profile
« on: Mar 12, 2017, 03:49PM »

I am playing on a Shires regular t25 hand slide with the Sauer large shank pipe. It plays wonderfully. The problem is this. Before I play  I clean the slide with a cleaning rod and then lubricate. I've been trying different lubes to see what works best for me lately. It seems regardless of the lube the slide is smooth as butter for about ten minutes and then just sucks from first to third position.

I thought maybe I tried to many different lubes and had different kinds of residue from experimenting so I cleaned the slide with warm water and a very little bit of dawn (inner and outer). I lubed up with just super slick cream and water. Same thing happened. Great for 10-20 minutes and then rapidly turned to junk. I did some research here in the forums and the consistent thing I read was that if there was no alignment issue and no dents (I can't find any, even had my wife feel the outer slide since I have kind of rough hands) then it was probably crud in the slide. So even though it had only been a week and three or four practice sessions I cleaned the slide again. I soaked the outer slide in a bath of warmish water and a drizzle of dawn. Scrubbed the inner slide with dawn and a silicone sponge. I dried the outer slide with a cleaning rod wrapped in bed sheet, and the inner with a microfiber cloth.

I watched the slide doctor video on slide lubrication. I did his method with trombotine and the red cap bottle of slide o mix. I did not use much trombotine and I wiped off excess after using the inner slide to lubricate the inside of the outer slide. Then I put one drop of red cap (small bottle)  slide o mix on each leg and used my hand to move it around the inner slide. Last I did a light spray of water.

After all that my slide would move on it's own at 15-20 degree angle. After twenty minutes with the slide in first I could go parallel to the ground and the slide wouldn't move. Nothing happened to damage the slide in between initial lube and the slide going dead. I tried spraying again, and even another drop of slide o mix, but it didn't help. This happens every day I play. It's making me not want to play because by the end of my sessions I'm playing through a super expensive slide that moves like my Conn director did after a season of marching band back in high school.

I live in St. Pete Fl and I don't know of any great techs to take it to near me. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure it out. If anyone has any idea of what's going on I'd appreciate hearing about it.
Gabe Langfur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2017, 04:09PM »

It probably does need all 3.

Shires slides have closer tolerance than most, which means that they seal better, making them respond better. It also means that tubes that have gotten just a little bit out of straight and parallel can have the kinds of problems you're describing.

I just had the same problem with my everyday B62 slide, which I had been using happily for almost 2 years with no problems. I switched to a different leadpipe that was a tight fit in the slide (as I'm guessing your large shank pipe is in the T25 - they always were when I worked there) and I think not quite straight. I don't think it came that way; I think it got a little bit bent because I had to work so hard to get it in and out when I was trying it. In any case, it threw the upper inner tube of my slide out of alignment, which ruined the action almost exactly as you describe.

The Shires factory fixed it for me, though it took two rounds of re-straightening and re-aligning (this is not uncommon - metal has memory and will often revert to its previous state). Now it's happy as before...no problems at all, and I've been able to go back to my preferred Yamaha lube. If you send it to the factory, you might ask them to fix it, let it sit for a day or two, and then check it again.

There is another possibility, also best addressed by the factory or a trusted tech: if there is corrosion built up on the insides of the outer tubes, you're not getting it out using your cleaning methods. You can do it with non-abrasive brass polish (Wright's), but it's hard to get it completely clean afterwards. Somewhere on the web there are instructions on how to do this.

Gabe Langfur
Bass Trombonist
Rhode Island Philharmonic
Vermont Symphony
Rodney Marsalis Philadelphia Big Brass

Trombone Faculty
Boston University
Kinhaven Music School
Wellesley College

S. E. Shires Artist
JWykell

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2017, 09:46AM »

Gabe I am sad to say I think you are 100% correct. I had about 6-8 weeks when i didn't have any time to play. When I started playing again I decided to play with the small shank pipes. I had a hard time putting the Sauer pipe back in. In fact I think I remember the slide feeling weird, pulling the pipe out, putting it back in, and finding the slide felt better. Thanks for the input. The slide doctor has a brief video on polishing with wrights but there process seems super simple. Pouring a tablespoon into each leg, and then using a clean cloth on a cleaning rod, and then rinsing a whole lot. But I think the pipe moved the leg. I'll contact Shires today about a possible repair. Thanks for the feedback.
Radar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2017, 01:12PM »

If a good cleaning on my part doesn't fix it my next stop is the repair shop.  Home remedies for slide issues often make things worse. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: