Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1063692 Posts in 70690 Topics- by 18588 Members - Latest Member: Tbonesean
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My Conn 72H predicament  (Read 464 times)
Brenog98

View Profile
« on: Mar 13, 2017, 01:19PM »

I have a Conn 72H good horn.  However the inner stockings have red rot and I'm not sure if should replace the inners, replace the whole slide or ignore it and save my money for a full fledge modernish bass.  Also I have the 72H slide with spring barrels and no slide lock. 

King Tempo 1306
Conn 72H
King 3BF
Luther College
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2017, 01:25PM »

You sure it's Red Rot and not just some brownish tarnish:  See if you can polish through it.

Normally Red Rot shows up in areas that are always damp, like slide crooks.  If the slide crook is still fine I'd tend not to think it's Red Rot.

Note that Red Rot takes DECADES to corrode your slide away.  If it still works, I'd continue to use it and save money for a replacement (if you need one)

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Brenog98

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2017, 01:40PM »

I can post some pictures soon however I talked to my instructor and I have had a job done on it before.

King Tempo 1306
Conn 72H
King 3BF
Luther College
Brenog98

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2017, 02:31PM »

Here's some pictures https://imgur.com/gallery/J1lDq

King Tempo 1306
Conn 72H
King 3BF
Luther College
bigbassbone1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2017, 02:38PM »

I am no expert on red rot but those pictures to me look more like the plating is just wearing off at the end of your slide....
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2017, 04:29PM »

Do a search on Conn Wear.  Older Conn trombones are notorious for the chrome plating wearing off the stockings.

You can polish it up with a good brass polish and then put a little slide cream over the wear.  Should work fine.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Gabe Langfur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2017, 05:26PM »

Yes, that's not red rot; that's chrome plating wear. It's not good, but it's entirely possible to work with if the tubes are straight and parallel.

You can polish it up with a good brass polish and then put a little slide cream over the wear.  Should work fine.

I wouldn't spend a lot of money on this - I would just use Trombotine, keep it really clean and play it for what it's good for, while I save for a double valve bass that I can take into any situation. I wouldn't sell it though...an excellent single valve bass is very useful to have in your arsenal.

Gabe Langfur
Bass Trombonist
Rhode Island Philharmonic
Vermont Symphony
Rodney Marsalis Philadelphia Big Brass

Trombone Faculty
Boston University
Kinhaven Music School
Wellesley College

S. E. Shires Artist
Rockymountaintrombone

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2017, 06:02PM »

I would agree that you're better off to use Trombotine or a similar lube and keep using that horn as is. One prominent repairman used to have some luck treating the plating wear on older Conns (and other brands) by unsoldering the tubes and turning them 180 degrees. The bulk of the wear usually occurs on the tops of the inner slides because of the weight of the outer slide - by turning the inners, you would get a smooth surface for the outer slide to glide over.

Conn/Selmer is seriously slow these days with supplying replacement parts - that might not be a viable option anyway.

Good luck! I have a 72H (with a plug-in 2nd valve) that is a joy to play - great as a doublers' horn.

Jim Scott
bonesmarsh

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2017, 06:30PM »

A quick chem-free method of cleaning slide wear is by rubbing the worn area with a white plastic pencil eraser. A Staedtler artist's eraser works well. Blow away the crumbs and no chems to remove.

The eraser won't harm the still-good areas.
dj kennedy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2017, 11:23PM »

:-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0
OH  RED ROT  THE SKY IS FALLING !!!!!!!!! Amazed Amazed Amazed Amazed Amazed Amazed
 Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil Evil
DRED  DRED  ALL  FALL DOWN DED !!!!!! RED RED RED  Eeek! Eeek! Eeek! Eeek! Eeek! Eeek! Eeek!
 :- >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
IT WILL CRACK IT  WILL  FALL  --DARN IT DARN IT  ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Yeah, RIGHT. Yeah, RIGHT. Yeah, RIGHT. Yeah, RIGHT. Yeah, RIGHT. Yeah, RIGHT. Yeah, RIGHT. Yeah, RIGHT. Yeah, RIGHT.
THE  REDS  HAVE  FINALLY  WON
 Embarrassed! Embarrassed! Embarrassed! Embarrassed! Embarrassed! Embarrassed! Embarrassed! Embarrassed!

XXXXooOOOOOXXXXXXXXX
LUCKY  LUCKY LUCKY  !!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: