Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1086968 Posts in 71961 Topics- by 19232 Members - Latest Member: Bach to the future
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Advice on Hitting High Notes?  (Read 15225 times)
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: Jul 10, 2017, 01:35PM »

Is the Chas Collin Flexibilities book not used anymore? It was considered essential back in the '70's, and even though I don't own a copy anymore, exercises or ones very similar are still part of my main practice routine.

It's still a valid way to increase the upper register IMO, and the speed and volume at which they're practiced affects strength and flexibility.

I had a usable high F on a Reynolds bass trombone with a VB 1.5G back then..

I bought it when it was relatively new (and I was in High School).  Brought it to a lesson and my teacher (a trumpet player in the NBC Symphony) told me to shred it because it was garbage.  Apparently Chalie Colin had a reputation back then.  But I didn't shred it -- I still have it.

I got my upper register with variants on the Remington Security in the Upper Register exercise.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch. President 2017-2018
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: Jul 10, 2017, 01:45PM »

Ok - I will weigh in on this what Harrison started. You will immediately see that my low range is in need of repair. LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXuKhdgfk8g

Lol! Love it! I think timothy42b started something; the equivalent of an Internet meme - in music.

I wish I could put my version of that musical meme up, but I'm not even in the same galaxy as you guys on high range. I could post a recording here doing what I do, but it wouldn't have a thing to do with the topic at hand, so I won't.

Just so others can be "in" on this - the concept is to alternate playing high with playing low. I don't know the magic behind it. Maybe it has something to do with keeping the chops from getting all in a bunch or perhaps from becoming muscle-bound from too much strenuous work upstairs. That's why I think flexibility exercises are also very important. I've never seen a muscle-bound yoga instructor. Uh-oh. Did I just toss up a softball? lol

...Geezer
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: Jul 10, 2017, 02:52PM »

Ok - I will weigh in on this what Harrison started. You will immediately see that my low range is in need of repair. LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXuKhdgfk8g

You sound like a trumpet!

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: Jul 10, 2017, 03:02PM »

Dang it Geezer, my video trolled on this thread first! Givin all the credit to Tim...

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: Jul 10, 2017, 03:15PM »

That's the way it goes around here, man. I didn't write the rules.

Now you have to one-up him on a high-range builder demo and take the cheese.

...Geezer
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: Jul 10, 2017, 03:18PM »

That's the way it goes around here, man. I didn't write the rules.

Now you have to one-up him on a high-range builder demo and take the cheese.

...Geezer

Geezer, I don't think that you saw Harrison's video. That's what started this. BTW, Harrison, great job and great video. I can tell that you're probably a great teacher too!

Energy City Horizons Symphonic Band
Energy City Big Band
Energy City Dixieland Band
River Pointe Church Praise and Worship Band
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: Jul 10, 2017, 03:24PM »

Geezer, I don't think that you saw Harrison's video. That's what started this. BTW, Harrison, great job and great video. I can tell that you're probably a great teacher too!

On THIS thread, yes. But Tim was THE first to do a high-range vid. Maybe he can point to where it had it's world debut.

I agree. Nice job! That's really what we need around here; demos of stuff.

...Geezer
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: Jul 10, 2017, 03:32PM »

On THIS thread, yes. But Tim was THE first to do a high-range vid. Maybe he can point to where it had it's world debut.

I agree. Nice job! That's really what we need around here; demos of stuff.

...Geezer

Oh I see what you mean. I was just thinking about this thread. I don't know if we've helped the OP with all this.  :)

Energy City Big Band
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: Jul 29, 2017, 07:16AM »

What key are you up to in playing IGSOY? 

I passed a goal. I played through it cleanly in the Key of D. I normally use my King 2B with a Bach 12C mouthpiece, but I passed my goal with a Bach 7C mouthpiece, so that is real progress for me. I have modulated GSOY up to the key of Eb, making high D the top note. I'll stick with the Bach 7C mpc and the King 2B for this next goal.

Lol. Just in case you are thinking that I should use a larger mpc to play higher, that is not the case with me; although it may be for someone else. All a large mpc does for me as far as high range is concerned is to make stamina up there that much more difficult.

GSOY is a great song, but I use it as an etude; modulating it up one half step at a time for range-building. Playing through a chorus of GSOY non-stop is a LOT tougher for me than occasionally picking off a high C# or a high D somewhere in an otherwise not all that high-pitched ballad.

I hope this inspires others to use a similar approach at range-building. There are certainly many approaches and it's probably best to attack it from all angles. This is one angle I attack it from. Harrison has some outstanding angles as well.

...Geezer
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: Jul 29, 2017, 07:47AM »

I hope this inspires others to use a similar approach at range-building. There are certainly many approaches and it's probably best to attack it from all angles. This is one angle I attack it from. Harrison has some outstanding angles as well.

...Geezer

Good job on IGSOY!  That's progress.

On a similar note, somebody posted Bolero written out in multiple keys, starting on F and raising half steps until a start of D.  I have it in hard copy, maybe I can find the electrons again. 

Tim Richardson
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: Jul 29, 2017, 07:55AM »

Good job on IGSOY!  That's progress.

On a similar note, somebody posted Bolero written out in multiple keys, starting on F and raising half steps until a start of D.  I have it in hard copy, maybe I can find the electrons again. 

Thanks Tim!

I am already making good progress on GSOY in the key of Eb. It's a feel kinda thing. The more muscular I try to make it, the worse it is. So I work terribly hard every day at re-training myself not to work so hard.  Amazed

...Geezer
timothy42b

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: Jul 29, 2017, 08:17AM »

Found this, Bolero in 12 keys:

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/f9c99c_c8dfa0b0636e4cc6b8c046b57e96c6f3.pdf

It's not the one I'm thinking of but it looks useful. 

Tim Richardson
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: Jul 29, 2017, 08:21AM »

Nice! Thanks for the share.

A zillion of us should keep that on our hard drive and/or print it out!

...Geezer
BillO
A trombone is not measured by it's name.

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: Jul 29, 2017, 08:59AM »

Found this, Bolero in 12 keys:

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/f9c99c_c8dfa0b0636e4cc6b8c046b57e96c6f3.pdf

It's not the one I'm thinking of but it looks useful. 
Good!

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: Jul 29, 2017, 01:17PM »

I passed a goal. I played through it cleanly in the Key of D. I normally use my King 2B with a Bach 12C mouthpiece, but I passed my goal with a Bach 7C mouthpiece, so that is real progress for me. I have modulated GSOY up to the key of Eb, making high D the top note. I'll stick with the Bach 7C mpc and the King 2B for this next goal.

Lol. Just in case you are thinking that I should use a larger mpc to play higher, that is not the case with me; although it may be for someone else. All a large mpc does for me as far as high range is concerned is to make stamina up there that much more difficult.

GSOY is a great song, but I use it as an etude; modulating it up one half step at a time for range-building. Playing through a chorus of GSOY non-stop is a LOT tougher for me than occasionally picking off a high C# or a high D somewhere in an otherwise not all that high-pitched ballad.

...Geezer

Great! That was the key that TD recorded it in. I've heard stories that at the beginning of the show, he would play it in D, but at the close of the show, he played it in Bb. I wasn't around back then so can't say from first hand experience. :)

Energy City Big Band
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Nov 11, 2017, 05:43AM »

Great! That was the key that TD recorded it in. I've heard stories that at the beginning of the show, he would play it in D, but at the close of the show, he played it in Bb. I wasn't around back then so can't say from first hand experience. :)

I just played all the way through IGSOY this morning in the key of Eb. Progress.

After three days of hard high range training, I think it's time to rest that aspect and concentrate on the technique of making as nice a sound as possible much lower on the horn.

Flush with a little new-found success on hitting some modestly high notes, what advice can I give? Strength is important, but it all goes out the window without correct technique. Bruce Lee might say, "It's the art of playing high without playing high". And for that, one-on-one instruction is needed. For most of us, there just aren't any short-cuts.

...Geezer
ddickerson

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Nov 11, 2017, 07:38AM »

I just played all the way through IGSOY this morning in the key of Eb. Progress.

After three days of hard high range training, I think it's time to rest that aspect and concentrate on the technique of making as nice a sound as possible much lower on the horn.

Flush with a little new-found success on hitting some modestly high notes, what advice can I give? Strength is important, but it all goes out the window without correct technique. Bruce Lee might say, "It's the art of playing high without playing high". And for that, one-on-one instruction is needed. For most of us, there just aren't any short-cuts.

...Geezer

Great Job! I think my biggest challenge sometimes is my tongue(articulations) get in the way in the upper register. LOL!

Energy City Big Band
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Nov 11, 2017, 08:00AM »

Great Job! I think my biggest challenge sometimes is my tongue(articulations) get in the way in the upper register. LOL!

Ha! That's what slurring is for!  Way cool

I played through it in Eb after playing through it well in D. I'll continue in Eb a few months before trying it in E. So, hopefully this post isn't dead yet and hopefully for us it never will be!  :D

...Geezer
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: