Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1083568 Posts in 71818 Topics- by 19123 Members - Latest Member: AU Tico
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: I am a troll!  (Read 10712 times)
« Reply #20 on: Mar 19, 2003, 02:33PM »

I guess the wwf/soccer analogy of hockey would be correct.  There's the true "unstaged" grit of the wwf, with the fan dedication of soccer.  However, I guess America's view of hockey is a lot different than Canada's.  But hey.
evan51
Guardian of the Sacred Nebulizer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: Mar 19, 2003, 02:38PM »

quote:
Originally posted by TROM TROMBAZOID:
noam chomski?...here's to more trolls who read. also suggest michael parenti.    http://www.michaelparenti.org/IRAQGeorge2.htm   for his take on "it". his books are quite riveting

Thanks, Trombazoid:
A chillingly well-written piece. As the article suggests, it is hard for some crusaders to understand the utter depravity of their enemies. It doesn't do justice to this man's singleness of purpose to call him a "*****."

Stay warm,
Evan

One life---a little gleam of time between two Eternities.---Thomas Carlyle
bickle
Formerly titled by the Walt

"Horn cues are good!"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 19, 2003, 02:47PM »

quote:
Originally posted by evan51:
So do we...it's called "field hockey" and only girls play it....put skates on them and it's called "ice hockey" but only Canadian men missing half of their front teeth can play it!        It's sort of like a sport I think---a combination of WWF and soccer (football) on ice.

Go Sharks!

Evan

Sharks. Feh. At least Owen Nolan's off to a decent team.

Yes, the Birmingham Bulls are a figment of your imagination.    

I'm not Canadian, I have all me teeth, and I'll see you on the rink. Me and the Squid, we'll take you on.          
laxgoalie33

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 19, 2003, 03:03PM »

haha.... how did this topic get dominated by talk about 2 of the best sports in the world???

-Tom G.
bickle
Formerly titled by the Walt

"Horn cues are good!"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 19, 2003, 03:09PM »

Easy: I'm just fatigued of all the "debates", and tryin' ter help out Mama by lightening thigns up a bit.

You can be on my team. I think Squid sounds like a shifty center; I can play either side. You play goal, I presume?  
« Reply #25 on: Mar 19, 2003, 04:32PM »

Sadly, the stereotype of hockey players missing teeth is not true.  Many star and/or "act" in commercial for anything from Chunky soup to McDonalds (Booooooo. Hisssss). So they have to look good for the camera.  Enter Dental Reconstructive Surgery.  And aye, a shifty centre I am, with the reflexes of a ...uhhhhh....really sneaky sponge.
« Reply #26 on: Mar 19, 2003, 05:00PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Pointless Squid:
I guess the wwf/soccer analogy of hockey would be correct.  

Wait, don't call it the WWF because then the World Wildlife Foundation will have a coniption fit and sue you..........

*sarcastic statement over*
Joe Jackson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: Mar 19, 2003, 08:40PM »

Hello Evan.

Just to let you know, I have been trying hard, but failing to duplicate the results you got from UNICEF (that the United Nations is responsible for 5,000 deaths per month in Iraq).  I read the UNICEF report.  I'm not calling you a liar; I'm just asking for your help in substantiating the claim.  I want to know and to evaluate whether a "link" can be reasonably concluded to be a "cause" with my own eyes.  I hope you understand.

However, on the other side of the equation (the mass murder - "allegedly", in your words - committed upon the Kurds and Shi 'ites by the Hussein government), I can still only operate with the information that is widely known and disseminated through human rights monitoring organizations.

If it is your insistence that over 120,000 Kurds and Shiite Muslims were not killed by the Iraqi government, I think I have to now ask for some sort of substantiation.

Further, I have asked the open question, "please explain the precise mechanics by which the US 'steals' oil from Iraq" on a couple of occasions.  To date, nobody has attempted to answer that question.

I ask in earnest; I stand ready to be swayed.  In fact I have flip-flopped on the issue twice in the last 48 hours.

I just want to hear something that is based in reality and not in someone's emotional reaction to the war or to their negative perception of people they don't know.

And finally, I find that when people pile up charges that "we gave such-and-such biological weapons" and "we created a monster here", it weakens the argument, as the fact that we sponsored someone or gave them weapons in the past has no bearing on whether they need to be stopped now.

Best,

Joe

« Reply #28 on: Mar 20, 2003, 04:20AM »

quote:
Originally posted by tim scemo:
...1.2 million deaths in Iraq due to our sanctions...

Without either agreeing or disagreeing with your statement, I must point out that "Correlation is not causality."

During the polio epidemic in the '50's, a direct, positive correlation was found between soft drink sales and new diagnoses of polio. Does this mean that somehow soft drinks caused polio? No, of course not. The cause of both statistical increases was...summer!

People by more soft drinks in the summer because it's hot.

People get polio in the summer because it is transmitted person to person; more likely when everybody's outside.

quote:
These are not inane arguments...
It is difficult to separate the validity of the arguments from the emotionality with which they are delivered. As tempting (and easy) as it is to produce an emotional diatriabe, it is far more effective (and more difficult) to deliver calm, reasoned statements.

How many deaths do you think Saddam would have caused had there been no sanctions at all? None? The only way to believe the statement "1.2 million deaths due to our sanctions" is to believe that Saddam would have caused no deaths at all without sanctions. Personally, I cannot bring myself to believe it for even a hemidemisemiquaver at 220 bpm.

I really am frightened by the apparent speed with which Bush has moved recently.

Pray for the troops.
« Reply #29 on: Mar 20, 2003, 05:50AM »

quote:
Originally posted by bickle:

quote:
Originally posted by Pointless Squid:
At first, I thought your comment was a joke.  But I'm not so sure.I'm from Canada.  if you said that here, you be tarred and feathered faster than you could day "angry beaver".  I do not take the sport seriously, but some consider it a second religion.  

He's from Alabama. Closest thing he's got to hockey is either the Nashville Predators or the Florida Panthers. It is a condition to be excused if he doesn't know from hockey. Not his fault. Kind of like Rangers fans........    

Or Penguins fans.........          

actually, Atlanta's got a team now (again) too. Sure they're horrid, and i'm kinda ashamed of them, but they're still there. It'd be interesting to see them play against a "real" team.
evan51

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: Mar 20, 2003, 08:28AM »

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Jackson:
Just to let you know, I have been trying hard, but failing to duplicate the results you got from UNICEF (that the United Nations is responsible for 5,000 deaths per month in Iraq).  

Hi Joe:

BTW, I'm not sure you meant to write "the United Nations is responsible for 5,000 deaths per month." As I undertsand it, these are deaths that are traceable to the sanctions/use of DU weapons/attacks on infrastructure/"no fly zone" attacks. These figures have been set around 1.2 million as Tim points out.

Counterpunch You might try this link. I ran the following words on Google ""depleted uranium" Iraq UNICEF mortality" and came up with many sites. (BTW, I don't think anyone, including our own government, disputes those figures. On the contrary---Joel Lieberman seemed damned proud of them!). It took until 1996 for own government to acknowledge that Gulf War vets had been exposed and a while after that to offer treatment and compensation. 128,000 returning vets still have disability claims (3x higher than any other war) arising from their exposure to chemical and biological weapons during the war (and not just Iraqi weapons!).

Kurds and Gas Here is a starting place if you really want to understand the debate on the use of gas on the Kurds. There are, again, many more sites than this one.

Your general question how does US steal Iraqi oil----I'm not sure I understand it, and don't think that is something I've written. Under the "oil for food program" I know that Iraq has been allowed to sell some oil on the world market in exchange for food and medical supplies previously unavailable under sanctions. "Stealing" oil is probably a term applied to a hypothetical post-war Iraq where American companies may have virtual "control" of the oil.

BICK---sorry to inject war stuff. I'm just at the end of my hockey humor!

Take care friends,
Evan

Steve Beck

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Mar 20, 2003, 09:32AM »

quote:
Originally posted by evan51:
[QBTOur local NPR station read some of Hitler's speeches before his "annexation" of Austria and invasion of Poland. I actually thought they were Bush speeches [/QB]

I hope they, and you did not pull a muscle reaching for that conclusion     wow

Wouldn't Bush take Mexico over if he wanted to annex land and get oil?  Protesting is one thing, fabricating fantasy is another.  If you want parallels, try this.  George Bush read a historical account of WWII (read Churchill autobiography for instance) and he was impressed over the fact that the USA waited too long to engage Hitler. He decided not to let History repeat itself.

I have trouble swallowing this myself, but next to your preposterous notions mine looks quite believable.
evan51

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: Mar 20, 2003, 10:43PM »

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Beck:
...next to your preposterous notions mine looks quite believable.

I guess you had to be there, Steve. I believe they were quoted exactly  because they were so similar to Bush's arguments. In other words---it was the compiler's intention to draw the paralells. I was an innocent party simply drawing the inference. Please don't bomb me!

As for your "preposterous" ideas about Mexico----don't give him any ideas    . But seriously, Esteban, if it is really an issue of "control" we don't need to. Although, due to iMexico's brutal suppression of native populations in the south, we evidently must if I'm to believe this administration. Besides, why would any American president want to saddle himself with Mexico's social problems?

laxgoalie33

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Mar 20, 2003, 12:10PM »

Momus..... I hope you appreciate watching Dany Heatley down there in Atlanta.
Fresh off winning the Calder last year, he goes and out scores everyone in the All-Star Game when everyone else his age was playing in that Young Stars game!!!

You guys are the reason we only got to see him play for 2 years at UW-Madison..... and dang what a great couple years those were:  113 points (52 goals, 61 assists) in 77 games from 1999-2001
Especially the first one when Steve Reinprecht was still here & on the same team as Heatley. WOW!!!!
What a combination of fresh, young, excellent talent that was.

-Tom G.
Steve Beck

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Mar 21, 2003, 02:47AM »

Evan, I did a Google search on Hitler, Bush and NPR.  

Try here for some tasteful(?) pictures of Bush dressed up as a Nazi

http://subintsoc.net/situationroom/index.php?p=96&c=1

I followed a few links but my ADD kicked in and I grew weary.  Have you ever read Nostradams or "The Bible Codes?"  You can read absolutely anything into those also.

I find the comparison amusing, and nothing more.  Bush misguided, quite possibly. An evil empire builder - not likely.
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: Mar 21, 2003, 04:55AM »

Maybe this isn't tasteful, but it seems apposite.

It's better with sound, but will work without.

http://www.madblast.com/funflash/swf/if_youre_trigger_happy.swf

Christine (red hot - that's what!)
christine.woodcock@gmail.com
In vodka veritas
Steve Beck

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Mar 21, 2003, 05:49AM »

So that's how you want to play Christine?  well, take this:

WHAT TIME IS IT?
http://www.funforwards.com/flash/september02/saddam.swf
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: Mar 21, 2003, 05:59AM »

EEEK! What have I done?! BTW, who's the guy at the tea-table with GWB?

In vodka veritas
BFW
Pun Gent

"Paronomasiacs Homonymous"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Mar 21, 2003, 06:09AM »

quote:
Originally posted by RedHotMama:
who's the guy at the tea-table with GWB?

Colin Powell, US Secretary of State.

Brian

Our supreme responsibility is the moral obligation to be intelligent. -- Oliver L. Reiser
RedHotMama
She Who Must Be Obeyed

"Forum Administrator"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: Mar 21, 2003, 06:50AM »

Ah, Co-lin, the man who doesn't know how his own Christian name is pronounced. Gotcha!

In vodka veritas
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: