Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1073102 Posts in 71184 Topics- by 18858 Members - Latest Member: pchoi
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumHorns, Gear, and EquipmentInstruments(Moderators: tbone62, slide advantage) King H.N. White 1901 Trombone with Blessing Scholastic Slide
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: King H.N. White 1901 Trombone with Blessing Scholastic Slide  (Read 491 times)
PGladis

View Profile
« on: Mar 19, 2017, 02:15PM »

A friend of a friend would like to sell me this trombone for $1,200. I started playing in a big band a year ago and am using a student trombone. I'd like to upgrade, but before I drop this much money, I'd like to know you're opinion.
He says it's a King H.N. White 1901 Trombone with Blessing Scholastic Slide.

Any comments?

Thank you very much!
Paul
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2017, 02:21PM »

The original slide for that thing was VERY small.  The Scholastic slide is probably wrong for the bell section.  The bell is probably 7".  And what's that thing in the tuning slide crook?

It might be interesting as an oddball, but certainly not worth $1200 (unless you are talking Mexican Pesos).

For that kind of money you can do a lot better.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
svenlarsson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2017, 03:58AM »

1200$?  In short NO.

You can get a trombone for that money.

Kanstul 1662. Bach 45B. Kanstul 1555. Besson Euphonium. Kanstul 66-S Tuba. Sackbuts in F/E/Eb Bb/A
And several horns I should sell.
wgwbassbone

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2017, 04:26AM »

1200$?  In short NO.

You can get a trombone for that money.

I completely agree.

Holton TR 180 MV 1 and 1/2G
PGladis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2017, 09:01AM »

Thanks for the replies! I think it's is a pretty resounding "no" regarding this purchase.

I was hoping that I could get a higher quality trombone in the second hand market than going out and buying a new one, and this is the first one to cross my table. The seller spoke very highly of this trombone (obviously, he's selling it), so I'm glad I stopped by here for your thoughts.  Any suggestions on buying in the used market?

Thanks!

Take care,
Paul
renbaroque

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2017, 09:43AM »

I might know of a good Martin Committee (.500" bore model I think) for probably less than half of that price locally. I can check to see if it is still available if you are interested (and check bore size, etc. for sure). I think it is one of the better horns for big band use.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2017, 10:10AM »

Student horns often work well for Big Band; especially for amateurs.  Doug Elliott won an audition to the Airmen of Note using a Yamaha 352, so it can't be that bad.

That said, there are a lot of very good instruments for playing 1st, 2nd, and even sometimes 3rd (some bands use the 3rd as a relatively low bone and you sometimes need an F-attachment).

For good used horns, look at these:

Bach 12, 16, 36
Benge 170
Conn 4H, 6H, 10H, 12H, 24H, 48H, others.
Getzen 1050
Holton 65, 67, 69
King 2B, 2B+, 3B, Tempo
Martin Imperial, Committee, Urbie Green, Steinmeyer
Olds Recording, Studio, Special, Radio, Super
Reynolds Contempora, Argenta
Selmer Bolero, Largo
Yamaha 651, 653, 691, 695, 697

Probably a few more I forgot to mention.

Forum Member DJ Kennedy has a house full (literally) of used but good playing trombones at good prices.  He ships all over the world.  Send him a message and see what he can offer.

You should be able to get a really good instrument in the $250-500 range.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
PGladis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2017, 01:00PM »

Thanks a mil! I'll look into the list you gave me and see if I can get my hands on one! You're all a great help!

Cheers!
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2017, 01:23PM »

You can certainly do great with a used horn. Most people here might suggest that's a good choice over a new one, but just not this particular one.

Really old horns are interesting as artifacts, but before a certain era (I'll leave the date to finer minds than myself), you're not going to get a practical horn for everyday use. I can safely say that turn-of-the-century horns are beyond that era.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
uncle duke

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2017, 03:00PM »

There was a horn of similar age and appearance at my old high school.  It just sat on a shelf all three years I was there until the spring of my senior year 84.  I thought, why not, he ain't going to say anything.

So after roll call he asked where my regular horn was, gave a warning about the age and history of the old horn I was holding and said I'll allow it this one time.  One reason I thought it wasn't ever used is because when the case was unlatched/opened it would open into four different sections.  Pretty raggedy.

So we start playing.  I find an underbuilt, no meat on the bones type of horn.  I realized a no power, tinny sound right away but continued for the rest of the hour of class.  Just a regular day at the office when class was through that day but to my surprise I received a "thank you, I haven't heard that horn played that way in a long time" from my teacher.  He'd been teaching there since the 50's so a long time could mean anything, I guess. 

Would I buy something like that for use in a band?  No, I wouldn't.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: