Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1076807 Posts in 71386 Topics- by 18949 Members - Latest Member: sfdubbler
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Okay, grammar folks...  (Read 1322 times)
jack

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 20, 2017, 12:51PM »

You may have come up with a statement that's impossible to properly make.

Is there a whiff of a split infinitive here?

Some British people think some Americans are careless with the English language.  (Not all, in either case.)
And some Brits think that some other Brits are careless with the English language.
Use of language easily becomes a cypher for educational and social status.
There are people who spend their entire lives working on this kind of issue.

Conn 72H
Courtois 502
Yamaha YBL612
Tomes Bb tenor sackbut (with F crook)
Wessex F bass and Eb bass sackbuts
Many, many mouthpieces
watermailonman

"Do your best and then do better"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: Mar 20, 2017, 01:08PM »

this is so much easier in spanish.

...or swedish. The verb does not change in swedish depending on who wins (or who win?). In Sweden everybody is a winner (oops!! everybody is a group too, isn't it..oh no another one right away. Can't make a post without making at least one new example).

Swedish:
Han vinner.
Hon vinner.
Den vinner.
De vinner.
Vi vinner.
Ni vinner.
Gryffindor vinner!!!

Interesting topic :-)
/Tom

Listen to my playing on soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/user-796193724
Visit my page at https://sites.google.com/site/brazzmusic/

Instruments: King 2b+, Kanstul 1570, Kanstul 1662. m-pieces: Bach 6 3/4, Hammond 12 ML, Hammond 20 BL
greenbean

"Brass Kahuna"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 20, 2017, 01:27PM »

I just stick with:

They win!

--Bach 50B (1966)
davdud101
The Kid

"Put yourself in the shoes of the listener."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: Mar 20, 2017, 03:00PM »

...or swedish. The verb does not change in swedish depending on who wins (or who win?). In Sweden everybody is a winner (oops!! everybody is a group too, isn't it..oh no another one right away. Can't make a post without making at least one new example).

//
Gryffindor vinner!!!

Interesting topic :-)
/Tom

That's the most particular language (or group - knowing Norwegian is the same) I was referring to.

Must be a COMPLETE MESS in Finnish, knowing that they have the craziest number of grammatical rules and slight variations in spelling on completely different words based on such tiny details.

Don't practice until you get it right.
Practice until you can't get it wrong.
Piano man

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 20, 2017, 04:56PM »

Is there a whiff of a split infinitive here?

Some British people think some Americans are careless with the English language.  (Not all, in either case.)
And some Brits think that some other Brits are careless with the English language.
Use of language easily becomes a cypher for educational and social status.
There are people who spend their entire lives working on this kind of issue.

It is a split infinitive. I don't mind them, especially in informal writing. I just use them by ear. Like sentence fragments.

"To go boldly where no man has gone before"? I don't think so.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." --Mark Twain
bhcordova
Wielder of the Cat Litter Scoop

"Carpe Felix"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: Mar 20, 2017, 05:50PM »

The funny thing is, we are hung up on all these grammar rules as if they have been engraved in stone since English was a language instead of having been developed in the 19th and early 20th century.  Look at writings from before that time.  Spelling wasn't fixed.  Capitalization wasn't fixed.  Punctuation wasn't fixed.  All these 'rules' were developed in by English professors trying to make English adhere to Latin rules.

Billy Cordova, MBA
Forum Administrator
bcordova@tromboneforum.org

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! - Lewis Carroll

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup - Anon.

St. Cecilia, pray for us.
davdud101
The Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: Mar 20, 2017, 09:30PM »

The funny thing is, we are hung up on all these grammar rules as if they have been engraved in stone since English was a language instead of having been developed in the 19th and early 20th century.  Look at writings from before that time.  Spelling wasn't fixed.  Capitalization wasn't fixed.  Punctuation wasn't fixed.  All these 'rules' were developed in by English professors trying to make English adhere to Latin rules.

But even then - you've gota admit that it IS nicer to have a slightly more coherent structure to a language. English, in all its flavors, seems to have pretty stable rules for each variation. It's just that people don't seem to use 'em!

Baron von Bone
Fear is the Mind-Killer.

"Reality Junkie"

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 21, 2017, 04:54AM »

Hell, capitalization and spelling were matters of style.

And don't forget the fact that "proper" English is very much a matter of consensus. If a given word or phrase or even the use of a grammatical pattern becomes common enough, it's adopted (not as sure about grammar, though it seems inherent to phraseology) and becomes proper English, or at least an accepted alternative.

- Feeding a troll just gives it a platform and amplifies its voice.

- Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves.  - Richard Feynman
- He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool.   - Confucius
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 21, 2017, 05:04AM »

English is great because it usually makes sense no matter how horribly it is butchered. There are some languages in which you become unintelligible just because of an accent.

In English, you can literally string words together caveman style and still be understood. I think that there are no other languages where two non native speakers from two different parts of the world can meet half way and exchange ideas in non proficient language like English is capable of.

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
Exzaclee

"Check out my new website!"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Mar 21, 2017, 05:51AM »

But even then - you've gota admit that it IS nicer to have a slightly more coherent structure to a language. English, in all its flavors, seems to have pretty stable rules for each variation. It's just that people don't seem to use 'em!

Nah, that's not quite right. Spanish and Italian have very stable structures and pronunciation rules that vary hardly at all - there is so much variation in English that the "rules" seem to occur with less frequency than the exceptions. English is a crawling chaos slithering into the sea, a germanic language masquerading as some Gaulic-Latin mushmouth of harsh sounds and poor spelling choices. English is definitely an "ear" language, one that has to be heard to get exactly right.

Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one!
www.zacleemusic.com
BillO
Trying to be better.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Mar 21, 2017, 06:51AM »

Nah, that's not quite right. Spanish and Italian have very stable structures and pronunciation rules that vary hardly at all - there is so much variation in English that the "rules" seem to occur with less frequency than the exceptions. English is a crawling chaos slithering into the sea, a germanic language masquerading as some Gaulic-Latin mushmouth of harsh sounds and poor spelling choices. English is definitely an "ear" language, one that has to be heard to get exactly right.
Good!

English is great because it usually makes sense no matter how horribly it is butchered. There are some languages in which you become unintelligible just because of an accent.

In English, you can literally string words together caveman style and still be understood. I think that there are no other languages where two non native speakers from two different parts of the world can meet half way and exchange ideas in non proficient language like English is capable of.
Good!

I have to agree with both of these assessments of English.  There are rules to cover most uses of the language, but they are obscure and the language is such that you can certainly get by without them.  So much of the understanding of English comes though context, implication and inference.  The spoken form an the written form can be strikingly different simply because the implied/inferred meaning can change dramatically through tone of voice, timing or inflection.  I've been told Japanese is much like this too.

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
robcat2075

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Mar 21, 2017, 07:18AM »

In English, you can literally string words together caveman style and still be understood.

I'll agree if "usually" just means more-than-50%.  I've heard lots of English that was pretty much incomprehensible. By native-born Americans, even.  :D

Robert Holmén

Hear me as I Play My Horn

Get your Popper, Dotzauer, or Kummer play-alongs!
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Mar 21, 2017, 08:01AM »

Japanese has extremely rigid, regular grammar. Like latin, you tack "endings" (they're really grammar particles) onto the end of words or phrases to show how they are used in a sentence. This allows for word order that is essentially the same as latin or an algebraic formula -- it defaults to SOV, but you can put them in almost any order as long as the parts are denoted with the proper particles. This is useful for poetry, but in speech word order is more regular.

As for inflection and timing in japanese, there are a few similar sounding words that are differentiated with inflection: candy vs rain, bridge vs chopsticks but context will differentiate for you.

I love that language.

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
davdud101
The Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: Mar 21, 2017, 09:34AM »

I'll agree if "usually" just means more-than-50%.  I've heard lots of English that was pretty much incomprehensible. By native-born Americans, even.  :D

:-P :-P

tsmart

"M R ducks. M R not ducks. O S A R !"

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Mar 29, 2017, 10:00AM »

Si  Hi

the fellowship  of  the slide

Μολὼν λάβε
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print