Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1063671 Posts in 70740 Topics- by 18561 Members - Latest Member: ConfusedConfucius
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scratchy slide  (Read 530 times)
THISTrombone

View Profile
« on: Mar 20, 2017, 04:26PM »

So I play on a Rath R400 and about a month ago I got the horn back from the shop. Nothing out of the ordinary except the main slide wasn't smooth. I didn't think much of it but now I'm struggling to move it and even after a second visit to the shop it still isn't working. I have no idea why, there isn't a single dent in the slide, both sections. It sounds like metal on metal scraping but there's slide cream and water on it.

Any help would be appreciated.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2017, 05:42PM »

How bad is each tube singly?

How about with the slide "upside down"?

If each tube is good individually but the combination is scratchy you may have misaligned tubes.

If one tube is scratchy and the other isn't there is a possibility the tube is out of round or bowed.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Blowero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2017, 08:49PM »

What was it in the shop for? Did they by any chance do a chem cleaning? That tends to etch the surface of the metal and make the slide feel scratchy. I never sonic clean or chem clean the outer slide for that reason. If it was done, and is the cause of the scratchiness, the inside of the outer slide needs to be polished by someone who knows what he's doing. There could be a lot of reasons for your slide not working well, but that's one possibility.

Brass repair, modifications, custom parts and instruments

http://brassmedic.com
daveyboy37

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2017, 08:58PM »

That's one of the reasons I stopped having my slides chem cleaned. I hated having to break them back in again.

David Sullivan
Bass Trombone - Livingston Symphony Orchestra
Horns: Bach 39, King 3B, Yamaha YSL-640, Bach 42T, Kanstul 1570CR, Kanstul 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612RII
MPCS: Faxx 7C, Hammond 11ML, Laskey 59MD, Laskey 85MD.
BillO
Trying to be better.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2017, 09:13PM »

I think maybe, from lore I have heard,  some techs are a little ham-fisted at the chem clean.  I have Ron Partch do mine and never receive back a scratchy slide.  Perhaps he does a polishing too, or just does it enough to clean and not punish.  Ron is a trombonist so is sensitive to this.  I'd suggest looking for a different tech.  It seems to me that any of the techs on TTF might be good choices as they are abundantly aware of how a trombone works.

I honestly don't know what I'll do if and when Ron retires.   Don't know

Having access to a good tech is as important as anything else in this game.

One tech on here is (sorta) close to you.  Bonearzt (Eric Edwards) is in the Dallas area - 3 hrs -  I Have to drive 2.5 hours to see Ron and would certainly drive another 30 minutes.  Eric is a trombonist and will probably treat your slide better than a euphonium player or (heaven forbid) a sax or trumpet player...

Never look at the conductor. You just encourage them.

Have you noticed, some folk never stick around to help tidy up after practice?
bonearzt

"UTEP Alumni/Legend in my own mind!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2017, 05:27AM »

Thank you Bill!!

Andrew,  I would definitely press the shop to find out what they did when working on your slide!  Especially after two trips!!

I would be more than happy to give it a go if you'd like to send or bring it up here.  We could plan it so that I could work on it while you grab lunch.

Sounds like either alignment as Bruce mentioned, and/or needs to be polished.

Eric

Eric, Leandra, Sara, Jared & Lily
Edwards
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has faded!"
"If you're doing something a certain way ONLY because it's always been done that way,  you're probably doing it wrong!"
THISTrombone

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2017, 02:42PM »

So I did a bunch of inspections on the slide and found that the very tip of the inner slide is completely missing the silver coating and it straight metal as well as a couple of very small but long scratches down the same slide. Any ideas of what to do? Not quite sure how to go about fixing the slide.
BGuttman
Mad Chemist

"Almost Professional"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2017, 03:09PM »

I assume you are talking about the inner slide.  That's not silver -- it's chromium.

Check the edge of where the plating is lifting or missing.  If it feels sharp, there was a blister that broke.  This could be bad news and you should have that tube replaced. 

If it's just smooth, polish up the bare spot and give it a dab of a good slide cream like Trombotine or Superslick.  Then do the rest of the slide like normal and see if that helps.

If the missing plating is on the outside of the slide, it doesn't have any bearing on the scratchiness.

Bruce Guttman
Solo Trombone, Hollis Town Band
Section Ldr, Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: