Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1073395 Posts in 71207 Topics- by 18869 Members - Latest Member: VVJOFan
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumCreation and PerformanceTrombonists(Moderator: zemry) Jazz trombonists that play on larger horns
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jazz trombonists that play on larger horns  (Read 4070 times)
Euphanasia

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 09:01AM »

I think played on a Getzen "The Dude" at one time, and in every jazz album it looks like he's holding a small bore horn. Anyone?

That's not a "Dude," dude. That's a Super Deluxe--a .500 bore horn at the top of Getzen's line at that time. You can tell by the slide handles and the copper ferrules. Of course, no pro ever played one of those, EVER, so I'm not sure why it's on those album covers.  Evil
sabutin

"A professional freelance NYC lower brass player."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2017, 10:41AM »

THAT is very inspiring, Sam. I don't know how you came to know this, but I believe you.

Funny thing is, even growing up 3 miles away from his birthplace - I never heard of him until I picked up an album. He was the best-kept local secret. There should be a "Slide Hampton Day" in Jeannette, Pennsylvania!

I hope he is okay. I think maybe he is retired now. Last time I heard him, he was playing jazz on a large-bore horn and sounding utterly fabulous. It can be done. But I believe it takes a Slide Hampton or the like to pull it off!

...Geezer

It's common knowledge among NYC trombonists. I was never really close to Slide...our paths just didn't cross much...but many friends of mine have told me stories about going to his apartment or house fairly early early in the day and finding him hard at work on the horn. They'd take a lesson, play some duets...whatever...and when they left he'd be right back on the axe.

Inspiring.

S.

Visit <http://samburtis.com/>. Lots of information on that site in the form of articles plus a link to my method book "Time, Balance & Connections-A Universal Theory Of Brass Relativity" which includes several chapters of the book.
Arrowhead99

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2017, 02:16PM »

Some great points above!

Getting back to the original question, it could be rephrased as "what Jazz cats exclusively play a large bore instrument when only playing Jazz?" The only bone players I can think of is Curtis Fuller, Robin Eubanks, Fred Lonzo and Fred Wesley...I'm sure there are others....
I have seen a few New Orleans street musicians use them, but I think it's mostly because they couldn't afford anything else.
I have also run into cats that have more of a natural trumpet embouchure - a laser like focus to their sound, yet they play trombone and can pull off playing Jazz on a large bore horn, but those are quite rare....

Do most trombone players have multiple horns in their arsenal? Absolutely! As do I, but I know that if I have any sort of jazz gig coming up there's no way I'm going to use a large bore F-att. horn. Conversely, if I have to play marches and a bunch of ceremonial music, I'm not going to bust out my Olds Special.
I've learned this the hard way! I used to subscribe to the "one horn for everything" mentality and through slow trial and error I realized that it just wasn't working. 
In higher education there can be a (ironically) lack of education about horns.
Arrowhead99

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2017, 02:18PM »

That's not a "Dude," dude. That's a Super Deluxe--a .500 bore horn at the top of Getzen's line at that time. You can tell by the slide handles and the copper ferrules. Of course, no pro ever played one of those, EVER, so I'm not sure why it's on those album covers.  Evil

Ah, thanks Euphanasia
Malec Heermans

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2017, 03:09PM »

THAT is very inspiring, Sam. I don't know how you came to know this, but I believe you.

Funny thing is, even growing up 3 miles away from his birthplace - I never heard of him until I picked up an album. He was the best-kept local secret. There should be a "Slide Hampton Day" in Jeannette, Pennsylvania!

I hope he is okay. I think maybe he is retired now. Last time I heard him, he was playing jazz on a large-bore horn and sounding utterly fabulous. It can be done. But I believe it takes a Slide Hampton or the like to pull it off!

...Geezer

Slide is an incredible inspiration and for sure practiced a ton. Here he is at his 85th birthday celebration - still sounding great:

https://youtu.be/GTwlk-kJNfQ

malecheermans.com
Shires T25/7GM8/7YM/Rotor - Hammond 12ML
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2017, 03:24PM »

Slide is an incredible inspiration and for sure practiced a ton. Here he is at his 85th birthday celebration - still sounding great:

https://youtu.be/GTwlk-kJNfQ

Thank you!

That looks like a pretty big horn he was sporting!

...Geezer

bonenick

"Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2017, 04:31AM »

Being relatively new starter on tbone and on this forum, I found out about Slide Hampton through this thread. But I should admit, his bell look monstrous compared to Bill Watrous'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQNPKnjoYHg

At first I even asked myself if this wasn't bass...
JacobGarchik

"NYC Freelancer and omnivore"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2017, 07:09AM »

Slide Hampton played a straight bass trombone, .562 with no trigger. German maker, maybe Schmelzer? Bass trombone mouthpiece, like a 1 1/2. Many of his students and protégés were playing on similar equipment in the 90s and 2000s.

Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2017, 07:59AM »

Slide Hampton played a straight bass trombone, .562 with no trigger. German maker, maybe Schmelzer? Bass trombone mouthpiece, like a 1 1/2. Many of his students and protégés were playing on similar equipment in the 90s and 2000s.

Well then, he had himself one bad-ass set of chops, to be able to play as high as he did - sustained!

And if you go back up to a previous post of mine to look at the album cover on the left - that old beat up Conn ain't no bass trombone and that certainly doesn't look like a 1 1/2G mpc. Okay, so maybe at that time he was in his early 30's and players evolve. But as I listen to him play on that album, he didn't lack for technique nor tone!!!!!!!!!!!!

...Geezer

Exzaclee

"Check out my new website!"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2017, 09:51AM »

Getting back to the original question, it could be rephrased as "what Jazz cats exclusively play a large bore instrument when only playing Jazz?" The only bone players I can think of is Curtis Fuller, Robin Eubanks, Fred Lonzo and Fred Wesley...I'm sure there are others....
Slide as far as I know has played large bore (bass bore) exclusively for the last few decades. Same with the other guys mentioned earlier.

No one was requiring "F-att" in the OP, or the list would be much smaller.

Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to no one!
www.zacleemusic.com
JacobGarchik

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2017, 12:41PM »

Oh I meant to add that I think Slide started playing on that horn in the 90s. and yes, he played really high on it too!
And yes, as I said before, quite a few players who only play on large bore trombones and only play jazz! Many more than mentioned.

JacobGarchik

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2017, 12:49PM »

Also see, off the top of my head: Andy Hunter, Jonathan Volzok, Avi Lebo, Steve Davis (not sure if his is 525 or 547), Reut Regev, George Lewis (recently), Tyshawn Sorey, Jonathan Arons, Sam Blaser, Curtis Hasselbring, and Brett Sroka.

Trombocholik

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2017, 12:56PM »

Here is an interesting video. Slide Hampton plays Dixieland and Swing on the large bore.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3ux7-R_CMeU

Trombone is out of politics
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2017, 01:12PM »

Here is an interesting video. Slide Hampton plays Dixieland and Swing on the large bore.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3ux7-R_CMeU

Nice! Slide sounds like he is in top form on that large-bore. So now I'm wondering if he was essentially self-taught or if he studied under someone.

Sam mentioned Slide's picking up a large-bore horn as a result of his university master-class teaching & involvement. That makes sense.

...Geezer

Emre Kayhan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2017, 02:26PM »

I met Slide when he came for a gig at a small club called Gramophon in Istanbul in summer 1998. He would also play with the Dizzy Alumni Big Band the next day. Anyways, I went to that club earlier and saw he was already there. I had a chance to have nice long chat with Slide, who I met one of the most generous artist and human being. On that evening he was playing with a Bach 42 and a Bach 5G mouthpiece. Slide was dominating the band. That was a great evening for us, who are living at the other side of the pond that the great Milt Jackson was playing the piano. After a long gig, that turned to a jam session and the great Turkish pianist Aydin Esen sat on a piano to play couple of tunes with them as well.

Emre Kayhan

TRT Istanbul Radio Jazz Orchestra(Turkish Radio & TV Association)

www.myspace.com/emrekayhan
kwbryson

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jun 07, 2017, 10:04PM »

A lot of Salsa guys have been playing large horns recently as well... I saw a video a while back of a section of straight Bach 42s, and I've heard of guys using the .525 and 547 bore yamahas. Not for me, that stuff is enough of a workout and I like the narrow slide, but for the guys that make it work, the sound is awesome.

Was glad to read this!  I use a straight bach 42 for my salsa playing (thought I was the only one!).  I love the sound, and don't mind the little bit of extra air.  Have gotten lots of props from other players on it!
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jun 27, 2017, 02:20PM »

I'm listening to Al Grey on YouTube right now and I have to wonder if he is on a large-bore horn. His sound (with or sans plunger) was huge!

...Geezer

sabutin

"A professional freelance NYC lower brass player."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: Jun 28, 2017, 04:54AM »

I'm listening to Al Grey on YouTube right now and I have to wonder if he is on a large-bore horn. His sound (with or sans plunger) was huge!

...Geezer

Conn 6H, I believe a 7C m'pce. "Huge" is too small a word. he could cover he enire Basie band with no mike.

S.

Visit <http://samburtis.com/>. Lots of information on that site in the form of articles plus a link to my method book "Time, Balance & Connections-A Universal Theory Of Brass Relativity" which includes several chapters of the book.
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jun 28, 2017, 05:29AM »

Conn 6H, I believe a 7C m'pce. "Huge" is too small a word. he could cover he enire Basie band with no mike.

S.

Thanks, Sam.

A Conn 6H! Really! I mean, I know a 6H can cut, but to get such a - powerfully beefy - sound from that equipment is off the charts. And his high range was totally wicked. Yes, there are plenty of guys who could play higher, but certainly not with the intensity he had.

Whew!

...Geezer

Bellend

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jun 29, 2017, 03:47AM »

Thanks, Sam.

A Conn 6H! Really! I mean, I know a 6H can cut, but to get such a - powerfully beefy - sound from that equipment is off the charts. And his high range was totally wicked. Yes, there are plenty of guys who could play higher, but certainly not with the intensity he had.

Whew!

...Geezer

He also played a Selmer Bolero.... very underrated horn though not a large bore at 0.508" Check him out  on 'The More I see You' fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48ZF49za1wg

bellEnd
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: