Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1092467 Posts in 72278 Topics- by 19421 Members - Latest Member: Decifix
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: film music orchestras  (Read 3809 times)
Ormsby

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 09:00AM »

That's pretty much correct. Secondary market is any revenue stream after theatrical run (DVD, VOD, streaming etc) and there are formulas to calculate the pieces of the pie to be shared among the musicians, orchestrators and other music prep labor.

This was proposed by the AMPTP in the early 1970s to help keep upfront costs down while still compensating professional musicians to have a livable wage. The AFM currently has different tiers depending on the budget of the film with discounted upfront session rates accordingly.

In my experience these payments are usually quite small per year per film, but can go on indefinitely. I still receive a yearly cheque for movies scores that we recorded over 30 years ago in Toronto. But the amounts are usually very little depending on the success or popularity of the film. We recorded a Henry Mancini score for 'Without A Clue' in 1988 that still pays a few dollars a year, but not enough to get excited about. I imagine the big blockbuster films might pay significantly more but I wouldn't know.
The government funded Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) which produces many TV films and series however did pay substantial dollars for their secondary market sales. I would periodically receive a cheque for thousands of dollars in a payment. Nice while it lasted. I'm not sure if the same agreements are still in place.

E.P.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: