Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1063694 Posts in 70690 Topics- by 18588 Members - Latest Member: Tbonesean
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTeaching & LearningHistory of the Trombone(Moderator: bhcordova) Copies of Ed. Kruspe Prof. Weschke Mouthpiece
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Copies of Ed. Kruspe Prof. Weschke Mouthpiece  (Read 959 times)
Bcschipper

View Profile WWW
« on: Apr 19, 2017, 12:12AM »

I like to announce that Werner Chr. Schmidt, a mouthpiece manufacturer in Markneukirchen, since 1842, will offer copies of the Ed. Kruspe Prof. Weschke mouthpiece described in Vereecke and Krause (2015), Ed. Kruspe's Prof. Weschke Model Trombone, Historic Brass Society Journal 27, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/272291158_Eduard_Kruspe's_Prof_Weschke_Model_Trombone thanks to one of the authors of the article. (Big thanks!)

The measurements are
Inner diameter: 25 mm / 0.984 inch
Depth of cup: 26 mm / 1.024 inch
Bore: 5.7 mm / 0.224 inch

(These are the measurements I got from Schmidt. The article has another set of measurements that differ slightly because of the way these measurements are taken. But the measurements are literally from the same mouthpiece.)

There seem to be a trend to switch to romantic German trombones for romantic German repertoire. This may be a mouthpiece to go with it. It may also fit very well to alto trombones. (Weschke himself used the same mouthpiece on his bflat-tenor, eflat-alto, and c-trombone). Often I see people spending money on a traditional Thein or Laetzsch but then keep on using their standard mouthpiece. My 1920th Kruspe Weschke sounds and responds very differently depending on the mouthpiece.

Who would be interested in such a mouthpiece? I try to get a sense of how many pieces Schmidt could expect to make. I didn't get his pricing yet. Orders should be placed with Schmidt directly http://www.schmidt-brass.de/englisch/index.htm I suppose.

They are very good in communicating in English via email. I ordered quite a number of mouthpieces from them previously. Shipping to the US went very smoothly.

They will also offer copies of four other Ed. Kruspe trombone mouthpieces. Details can be asked from Schmidt (they are not listed on their website yet). 
tbarh

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2017, 08:41AM »

Thanks for this interesting information , Mr. Schipper ! Did You know that the Conn "Remington" mouthpiece that was usually shipped with the Conn 8H/88H is a modified version of an old Kruspe model.. Would be fun to know if Schmidt have plans for copying this piece also !

Trond
Bcschipper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2017, 01:36PM »

I did not know. Note that the Kruspe Weschke mouthpiece is for a Kruspe Weschke trombone, a narrow bore that was typically used by principal trombone (like still being used by the principal trombone at Berlin Philharmonic or Leipzig Gewandhausorchester). So I am not sure whether I would want to use the Kruspe Weschke mouthpiece on a Conn 8H/88H.

But given that Kruspe produced various trombones including large bore trombones (like the huge bore and bell Steimann model), they would have likely offered various mouthpieces as well. The Kruspe copies that Schmidt currently offers are in PDF file linked below. (They are not yet at his website.)

http://faculty.econ.ucdavis.edu/faculty/schipper/Schmidt_Kruspe.pdf
MaestroHound

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2017, 01:51PM »

This is great news. I hope to get to try one. I have been using original mouthpiece that came with a Kurt Scherzer trombone, along with Schmidt's Bambula series for this purpose. This will be a strong addition to the options going forward I am sure!

"Think before you applaud." -Abe Martin
tbarh

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2017, 12:05AM »

I did not know. Note that the Kruspe Weschke mouthpiece is for a Kruspe Weschke trombone, a narrow bore that was typically used by principal trombone (like still being used by the principal trombone at Berlin Philharmonic or Leipzig Gewandhausorchester). So I am not sure whether I would want to use the Kruspe Weschke mouthpiece on a Conn 8H/88H.

But given that Kruspe produced various trombones including large bore trombones (like the huge bore and bell Steimann model), they would have likely offered various mouthpieces as well. The Kruspe copies that Schmidt currently offers are in PDF file linked below. (They are not yet at his website.)

http://faculty.econ.ucdavis.edu/faculty/schipper/Schmidt_Kruspe.pdf

Could be that the no.6 with 26mm id is the one that Conn modifed. Into the Remington model.. DonYou know if  This company can modify existing models ? Change rim sizes etc.. Interestingly they are die casted, not spun.. And... They have a Norwegian dealer..😄 

Trond
Tim Dowling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2017, 02:18AM »

This is very good news. I'll be driving down to Markneukirchen next week, so I'll try to visit them and take a look and maybe take some pics to share. Now I think I'll take my Kruspe Weschke along.

Tim Dowling
Residentie Orchestra, The Hague
Royal Conservatory, The Hague
baroquetrombone

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 22, 2017, 09:10AM »

Another vote for great news! I'm definitely interested in picking up one or more at some point to try on my Schoppers.
SBMaestro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 22, 2017, 06:31PM »

Do you know if these mouthpieces will only come in the medium (Euro) shank, or if they will also be made for small and/or large-shank receivers? 

Bcschipper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: Apr 22, 2017, 09:48PM »

Do you know if these mouthpieces will only come in the medium (Euro) shank, or if they will also be made for small and/or large-shank receivers? 

They can be ordered with any shank size.
Bcschipper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: Apr 22, 2017, 09:54PM »

This is very good news. I'll be driving down to Markneukirchen next week, so I'll try to visit them and take a look and maybe take some pics to share. Now I think I'll take my Kruspe Weschke along.

May be it is a good idea to give them heads-up in order to make sure that they have them ready.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: