Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1080585 Posts in 71522 Topics- by 19056 Members - Latest Member: Coleman25
Jump to:  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BAC Modifications  (Read 3301 times)
bigbassbone1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 02:27PM »

Have you seen pictures of some of the horns he's designed? Self explanatory.

I think I miss understood.... I thought we were talking about sending an instrument to him for a repair job, or having him do something specific to it that the customer has asked for. I didn't realise he built his own instruments from scratch.
Larry Preston Roberson

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 05:39PM »

What are you talking about guys. It's the best work I've ever seen!

Is that for real Harrison, or did you make a mock up?
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 05:45PM »

Is that for real Harrison, or did you make a mock up?

That's real. It's on eBay now. I believe the claim is it's a Bach modified by BAC. the Bach part is probably not true but it does look like a bac concoction.

What's in a name? that which we call a tenor-bass posaune
By any other name would smell as sweet;
Full Pedal Trombonist

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2017, 11:05PM »

has the listing shown where the horn is stamped "BAC" and with the date of the modification?

We don't just embrace insanity here, we feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.
bonenick

"Life is change. Growth is optional. Choose wisely."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2017, 12:28AM »

Matt,

Though I understand the frustration of some people on the forum, who had bad experiences with B.A.C. there is no valid reason to bash them tike that. This is none of his work and it doesn't really look like, it is absolutely amateur work and the person who did it clearly has no idea whatever about brass instrument design.

This is the original ebay posting http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Modified-Bach-Tenor-Trombone/122481134807?_trksid=p5411.c100170.m2943&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140131123831%26meid%3Db8520bc4de81481fae70c751396df19b%26pid%3D100170%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D122481134807

and clearly doesn't mention B.A.C. as a possible source.
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2017, 03:06AM »

They've obviously revised the listing because it used to read Bach (url even still says it). The BAC claim came from the other thread from someone who either saw the horn in person on commission at a shop or perhaps on a website where the BAC portion of it was first originated. (see post in found on the net: 'why?'.

bonenick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2017, 03:35AM »

I remember the post about the custom trombone, remember that it was also listed as a Bach, and saw also that the guy listing the horn is selling posh chairs :-) So, he really doesn't know what he has got, or he doesn't want to reveal it for obvious reasons.

I never played a B.A.C. trombones, or got a trombone customized or repaired by them. Their reviews seem to be quite mixed, which means that they do some good things, but probably quality control is not at their best, as well as doing business and dealing with customers. Still, nowadays building and running such a business is not easy at all, why I am definetly against ruining their reputation for no reason. If Mike is as good as people claim to, he will eventually overcome his shortcomings provoked by bad personel and inconsistent quality control. Why do this more difficult for him?
Matt K

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2017, 05:03AM »

If this is his work, it doesn't reflect any more negatively than any of his other work. Similarly, take the example of "The Seasons" .  They aren't necessarily totally reflective of his work because of the conditions under which they were commissioned. I get that the person paying the piper calls the tune. He could have had someone insist on covering up the F wrap.

If its not his work, then so be it, but its aesthetic does bear a strong resemblance to other projects he has done. Pointing that out is not inherently negative since there are obviously quite a number of people who like the appearance of his work.

bonenick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2017, 05:26AM »

I don't think so. Not all of his horns look so...industrial, and the foil horn is nothing like it (it just looks, and probably plays rubbish). Mike sure has some rather extravagant and unconventional ideas about how a trombone should look. Some like it, most not. Does this makes his horns plays better? I believe that every horn should be assessed separately.

Purely from aesthetic point of view, I don't think that there is so much of a difference. The most popular design on small bore seem to be:

It does look heavier than a Conn, Bach or King, but looks can be deceiving. As some Taylor, Monette or Harrelson trumpets that are in fact lightweight :-) Actually, the only thing that looks out of the ordinary is, that he opted for this circular kind of brace, instead of putting the conventional counterwight (there is a such a version as well)

The heavier version is something like that

He puts some more weight on mp receiver and some heavier bracings, not everybody's cup of tea, but this may be efficient, though you will probably get a limited feedback from the horn.

Some stuff are made simply to impress, to demonstrate what he can really be done, without saying that it should...like the wooden bell trombone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pVSlSfjTe8

or the recent Dizzy style trombone bell, which I am not really into it either. Surely, he will find someone that's keen on "pimping" trombones and will make some money out of it. Even the pimp horns seems to be properly built, which is basically a good sign.

The real problem with heavy trombones is probably felt more with bigger instruments - large bore trigger tbones and basses are already heavy enough on its own without putting additional weight in whateverplaces, which creates a real physical and ergonomics challenge, which can make its use next to impossible - if that's so, Mike really got to change radically his design and concept. But a small bore tenor can stand some more weight, if ergonomics and playability is right.
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2017, 07:05AM »

The Mason horn is unbelievable. I don't think there are many actual Mason horns floating around though.

If you search for it, the first thing that comes up is some rent-a-horn site trying to rent you some budget outsourced version of the horn.

"My technique is as good as Initial D"
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
bbocaner

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2017, 07:18AM »

why I am definetly against ruining their reputation for no reason. If Mike is as good as people claim to, he will eventually overcome his shortcomings provoked by bad personel and inconsistent quality control. Why do this more difficult for him?

To protect the rest of you against the type of FRAUD that Mr. Corrigan regularly engages in? He doesn't seem to have any ethical concerns about doing it, so we shouldn't have any about exposing him for it. You're welcome.

I don't know who made the instrument on eBay, but it sure looks like one of his to me. Even his pretty work has a somewhat homemade aesthetic up close that you don't necessarily see in the glamour shots he posts to social media.

--
Barry
bbocaner

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2017, 07:25AM »

Some stuff are made simply to impress, to demonstrate what he can really be done, without saying that it should...like the wooden bell trombone:

The bell was made by Rob Jones. BAC bought it from him, mounted it up to one of their trombones, and proceeded to show it off at numerous trade shows and in numerous social media posts. It's nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

--
Barry
greenbean

"Brass Kahuna"

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2017, 07:52AM »

This is the original ebay posting http://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Modified-Bach-Tenor-Trombone/122481134807?...

and clearly doesn't mention B.A.C. as a possible source.

I have seen this horn in person.  It is a Conn 50H.  Not a Bach.  The original eBay listing mentioned Bach.  I don't know why - perhaps the owner believed it was a Bach!  The owner is selling it on consignment in Oakland CA and claims it was made by BAC.  I did not inspect the horn so I don't know it there are BAC markings on it, but it does look like a BAC creation...

The bottom line is that the owner thinks it is worth quite a bit of money.  To me, it looks like a $200 horn with $200 worth of custom work (for some reason). 

--Holton TR180 (1974)
bonenick

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2017, 08:12AM »

The bottom line is that the owner thinks it is worth quite a bit of money.  To me, it looks like a $200 horn with $200 worth of custom work (for some reason). 

I would doubt on the custom work charge  :/ I am not into bashing B.A.C. or whoever else, but that looks like the work of someone who made a first atempt of repair/custom brass work.

If I decide to spend some cash on ebay, the first recommendation of ebay would be http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-YSL-3530R-500-525-Dual-Bore-Tenor-Trombone-MINT/282460613587?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40130%26meid%3Da75de61ee148496c946a3cd7f3903450%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D122481134807 and I would definetly rather look in it to spend the cash.
PSJ

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2017, 12:06PM »

I have been reading this thread for the past week or so since I was getting work done last week at BAC.  I have an Olds P24G that the plastic valve linkages were starting to crack.  A couple of months earlier I called, we talked about replacing the complete linkages and I got scheduled into the production schedule.  When I got to KC last Monday (was there for the week for a conference for my day gig) I met with Mike and he actually saved me some money.  He was able to custom make brass replacements for the plastic parts and made me an extra Olds rotor spring.  I was going to have the slide treatment but he looked at the slide and thought it didn't need it.  Instead just did a complete teardown and chem clean.  The parts he made were good.  I am pleased and saved a few dollars! 

Joel, his Consultant/Liason gave me a complete tour of the place, everyone was really nice.  And I saw a bunch of his custom horns and they are nice.  Talked with Mike the day I picked up the instrument (only took a day since I was in the schedule) about a prototype bass bell section he had that was interesting. 

I am just a part time pro player in Arkansas but I do think being there personally might have been better then just over the phone and shipping.  I didn't feel I was treated any less than a big time pro, I thought I was treated very fairly.

Paul

Paul Johnston
Bass Trombone
Dukesboneman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2017, 09:49AM »

In my opinion, If you want REALLY good repair work , Fantastic Slide work and some custom work done. I`ve never seen better than Paul Able at the Able Brass Clinic in Rochester, NY
http://www.abelbrassclinic.com/       Paul is a wonderful Repair tech that will spend the time with you to make sure you`re happy with what`s being done.
He worked for King for a while in  (I Believe) slide quality control. And he`s a serious Bass Trombonist.
Check him out!!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 03:54AM by Dukesboneman » Logged

“Where words leave off, music begins.”
― Heinrich Heine
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print
Jump to: