Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1066349 Posts in 70869 Topics- by 18685 Members - Latest Member: MattG1116
Jump to:  
The Trombone ForumTeaching & LearningPractice Room(Moderator: blast) How do you get back to playing well after not playing
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do you get back to playing well after not playing  (Read 835 times)
trb420

View Profile
« on: Apr 29, 2017, 09:46AM »

I've been in a situation in which I haven't been able to play (hardly at all) for the past 2 weeks. I sound pretty bad, and I was wondering if you guys had any advice for getting back to where I was before the hiatus. Thanks!
Roscotrombone

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2017, 09:57AM »

I'm assuming that you had some sort of routine before your little break so surely starting that again would be best??

Trombones are for life,not just for Christmas
keybone

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2017, 10:52AM »

I am in your situation right now. I will do what I do every practice session - start at the beginning. Long tones, slow lip slurs, deep breathing and  some flow studies, generally ballad type stuff. I will only play for about 30 minutes the first day or two. After that, I feel ready to go with my usual routine.

Just slidin' down the razor blade of life...
SethMatrix

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2017, 11:25AM »

I've been in a situation in which I haven't been able to play (hardly at all) for the past 2 weeks. I sound pretty bad, and I was wondering if you guys had any advice for getting back to where I was before the hiatus. Thanks!

Well just think about what you want it to sound like and then do that on the horn. Long tones and Lip Slurs.

M&W Custom Bass Trombone
savio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: Apr 29, 2017, 02:11PM »

Well just think about what you want it to sound like and then do that on the horn. Long tones and Lip Slurs.

Good!
Blend with many coffee breaks. Some simple soft melodies always helps. Take your time, don't hurry. Listen some good trombone music for inspiration. Always enjoy whatever you do.

Leif

Bass Trombone - Conn, Holton
blast

"Bass/Contrabass trombone, Scottish Opera."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 29, 2017, 02:17PM »

Stop playing opera...

Chris Stearn

Still cannot think of anything better to do. Back on an old 1 1/2G again !
schlitzbeer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2017, 02:42PM »

Stop playing opera...

Chris Stearn

+5 And stop watching Oprah......

US 101 to Sequim, Port Angeles, and beyond......
slide advantage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: Apr 29, 2017, 03:25PM »

Three suggestions:

1) Long tones
2) Long tones
3) Long tones
Geezerhorn

"Lego My Trombone"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2017, 03:32PM »

In what order?

...Geezer

musicofnote

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 30, 2017, 01:56AM »

I'm in that position now. I was in the middle of a come back after 3 years of not having played. I'm on vacation now, right in the middle of 2 weeks away from the horn. Then I have 2 weeks to get together for a Big Band concert. I know, that I'll have to find my sound again first. And be comfortable with it. That means middle register and extend that downward, remembering to relax and sue broad slow air, not forced. Since the BB gig only goes up to an f, I'll not worry about anything about an e-flat for the first 3 days. I'll concentrate on just getting the sound I know I had before the vacation. And I will realize, that the endurance I lost will come back, but not by brute force. I'll not worry about slide technique. I knew the charts before I left on vacation, so that'llremain.

My go to exercises are variations of Chichowicz flow exercises of my own design. Also Alan Raph for getting sound and articulation in double-paddle and pedal registers. Then I do a little playing from the Bachmann/Slokar book. Take a 10 minute break and do some etudes from Bordogni.

Yamaha 882G with Wedge S59
Rath R400 with Wedge 4G

Bass Trombone TriRhenum Orchestra
Bass Trombone Georgy's Big Band

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."

~*~Chinese Prover
Woolworth

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 30, 2017, 06:56AM »

I was in a situation where I went nearly 4 years without playing a note.  When I finally returned to music, the formula was: Long tones, lip slurs, simple melodies and scales...combined with lots of patience and rest!  In two weeks I was back to about 90% of my previous abilities.

Rich Woolworth
Trombonist, Composer, Arranger, Clinician, Bandleader

www.matrixmusic.com
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 30, 2017, 08:36AM »

Brad Edwards!

Tone it up.
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
JP

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 30, 2017, 11:45AM »

Assuming that you were in good playing condition before you took a break, I read something about this many years ago and have tried it often after taking 1-2 weeks off the horn (which I make a point to do every year), it works for me.

First time back, carefully go through an easy warm-up: long tones, easy lip slurs, a few scales. Then, play anything--a solo, an etude, a familiar song--in mid range fff about 3 times. As loud as you can play with a good sound. 15-20 minutes. Put the instrument away, next day go back to your regular practice, just avoid difficult playing (hard lip slurs, wide range, extremely fast stuff, etc) for about a week.

It is a shock technique to your embouchure, breathing, and articulation. Like a long distance runner getting back in shape by running a few fast sprints.

JP
Trombonists just slide through life
afugate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 04:03AM »

Assuming that you were in good playing condition before you took a break, I read something about this many years ago and have tried it often after taking 1-2 weeks off the horn (which I make a point to do every year), it works for me.

First time back, carefully go through an easy warm-up: long tones, easy lip slurs, a few scales. Then, play anything--a solo, an etude, a familiar song--in mid range fff about 3 times. As loud as you can play with a good sound. 15-20 minutes. Put the instrument away, next day go back to your regular practice, just avoid difficult playing (hard lip slurs, wide range, extremely fast stuff, etc) for about a week.

It is a shock technique to your embouchure, breathing, and articulation. Like a long distance runner getting back in shape by running a few fast sprints.

I discovered something similar for myself.  The extreme playing does make a difference for me when I've had to lay off for a bit.   I'd recommend following JP's whole process.  Good!

--Andy in OKC

I'm an optimist.  Some day, I'll sound like Bill Watrous.  And, I'm still waiting on that darned growth spurt!
harrison.t.reed

"Spartan Brass Band!"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 11:27AM »

Recently just got back from weeks of field training and classroom stuff that left my face weak. I played through the first movement of the Harvest trombone concerto as loud as I could. It is very rough at first but even after a few sessions of this I remembered how to play again. I think it's that it must be played loudly and supported with lots of air to be played at all that it works so well for this purpose!

It should be called the Harvest Warmup Concerto.

best of all the solo part is FREE on the composer's site:

http://www.ostimusic.com/images/SoloTrombone.pdf

Tone it up.
T-396A - Griego 1C
88HTCL - Griego 1C
36H - DE XT105, C+, D Alto Shank
3B/F Silversonic - Griego 1A ss
pBone (with Yellow bell for bright tone)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: