Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1087394 Posts in 72026 Topics- by 19247 Members - Latest Member: jasonsato1
Jump to:  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Eastman ETB 848 bass trombone  (Read 458 times)
Tanner hunter

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2017, 04:11PM »

In the market for a bass trombone and came across the etb848, its reasonably priced (for a new bass trombone) at 2,960. Cant find any reveiw online or a one at a store so I wandering if any of you have an opinion.
Gabe Langfur

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 04:16PM »

I had the prototype last summer. It was excellent. I played it very happily in a professional setting.

Gabe Langfur
Bass Trombonist
Rhode Island Philharmonic
Vermont Symphony
Rodney Marsalis Philadelphia Big Brass

Trombone Faculty
Boston University
Kinhaven Music School
Wellesley College

S. E. Shires Artist
conn88plyr
Keith Hilson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 08:04AM »

In the market for a bass trombone and came across the etb848, its reasonably priced (for a new bass trombone) at 2,960. Cant find any reveiw online or a one at a store so I wandering if any of you have an opinion.

I really like the 848 as well.  I find it to be a responsive instrument with a balanced sound, great intonation, and very well built.  With the dual independent rotors it may not be open enough for a full-time pro bass trombonist but as a tenor player who doubles on bass it certainly does the job for me.  I think this instrument has the potential of becoming a favorite for schools looking for an affordable bass bone and a good fit for someone looking for a very good performance-level bass.  I am planning to keep one in stock in the shop for the foreseeable future!

Keith Hilson
Trombone Shop Manager
Schmitt Music, Brooklyn Center MN

Conn 88HO, Bach 42BO, Martin Urbie Green, Kuhnl & Hoyer Slokar alto
Dan Hine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 08:33AM »

I really like the 848 as well.  I find it to be a responsive instrument with a balanced sound, great intonation, and very well built.  With the dual independent rotors it may not be open enough for a full-time pro bass trombonist but as a tenor player who doubles on bass it certainly does the job for me.  I think this instrument has the potential of becoming a favorite for schools looking for an affordable bass bone and a good fit for someone looking for a very good performance-level bass.  I am planning to keep one in stock in the shop for the foreseeable future!

I was going to post a similar experience.  Interestingly enough, about the very instrument you have.  I was in Schmitt Music a few weeks ago and the Eastman bass played great.  I mentioned to Ben that I could see a combination of the Eastman bass with a Griego 1.5 would be a great recommendation.

Driving Park

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 03:03PM »

I played one at ITF last year and I legitimately thought it was a Shires until they told me what it was. It absolutely blew me away. If I had to buy a new bass this second I'd buy one without a second thought.

Always WTB: Boosey & Co. ballad horn in C | Distin altophone | King 1147/48 altonium | Boosey/Courtois antoniophones | DEG alto cornet in F
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: